Where to be for Ravens-Steelers
Columnist Evan Porter round ups specials from local bars for Sunday night's primetime NFL rivalry match-up.
Not all sporting events are created equal.
The grunts of the Wimbledon Final make for great background noise while you iron your capris. The PGA tour never fails to make you pause briefly to see who's winning while flipping through channels. Cricket looks kind of fun when you see people watching it in movies.
But nothing draws a crowd like the NFL in December. And it doesn't get any bigger than the Ravens playing Steelers in Baltimore.
This year I'm lucky enough to be going to the game. And by lucky I mean insane for spending an ungodly amount of money on nosebleed seats. What can I say? I've been dying to use my new binoculars.
For those of you who aren't planning on buying thermal underwear you may never wear again, paying $7 for a beer and sitting behind the tallest guy in the tri-state area, there are plenty of warm bars around here that will be happy to stuff you with food and drink at a reasonable price while you watch the game on TV.
I hate to admit this, but Sunday isn't just a holiday for Ravens fans. There is a really great Steeler's bar right off of Warren Road, between Beaver Dam and York. I can't remember the name, but you should definitely show up there in your Roethlisberger jerseys on Sunday. (Shhh! They don't know I'm talking about the landfill.)
Here are the best spots for you Ravens fans:
- 1/2 price burgers after 7 p.m.
- Heineken Light promo girls walking around until 8 p.m.
- TV situation - Great. You can't throw a rock without hitting a TV and subsequently owing the bar a lot of money.
- 50 cent wings.
- $3 Amstel Light, Heineken, and Dos Equis.
- TV situation - Great. This place has more plasma than Iron Man and Edward Cullen combined.
- 1/2 price burgers at the bar.
- TV situation - Good. You can see fine now but in a few years you'll probably need glasses.
- $5 Ravens martini (Stoli raspberry vodka and cranberry).
- $10 buckets of beer.
- $5 Miller and Coors pint cans.
- Purchase any of those and get entered into a jersey raffle!
- TV situation - Good. It's no IMAX experience, though.
- Buckets of domestics ($2/bottle).
- Wing specials.
- A promotion to be named later. (The lady on the phone said "I'm sure we'll come up with something.")
- TV situation - Good. Maybe the surprise will be 3D glasses for every patron and I'll bump it up to great.
- All domestic drafts $2.75.
- Discounts on bottles of Miller Lite and Natural Light.
- $2.75 margaritas.
- Specials on wings, cheeseburger sliders, grinders, crab cakes, shrimp, hot dogs.
- TV situation - Better get there early for a good seat. It's kind of like the dolphin show at the aquarium
- $2.50 drafts.
- $3 off burgers.
- $3 off a full rack of Danish baby back ribs.
- Basically all appetizers are $1 off.
- $1.75 Miller Lite, Yuenglings, and Coors Light drafts.
- $3 off Bud pitchers.
- TV situation - Good. People aren't going to gather around outside to watch breaking world news through the window, but good enough.
- $2 drafts during the game.
- $2.50 Bud Light.
- Half priced appetizers.
- TV situation - Good. Just good.
As for the TV situation at the Steeler's bar, if you can find one you can take it home with you.
Let's go Ravens!