The Lutherville Volunteer Fire Company has installed an enhanced alerting system thanks to a generous grant from BGE to emergency response agencies.
Station 30 was able to close a gap in their two-part alerting system that was caused by power outages. The station and its volunteers are notified of an emergency situation via a siren in the firehouse and a personal pager.
When the power goes out in Lutherville—a notable and recurring problem—so does the siren.
"The whole system is pretty complex," said station Capt. Steve Weatherby. "It has really enhanced our response time to emergencies. ... It's another level of redundancy for us."
On Wednesday, BGE leaders and representatives of non-profit groups gathered to announce awards through the 2012 BGE Emergency Responders Safety Grant program. Read a full recap of the press conference on Pikesville Patch.
"I believe that in many ways we are kindred spirits," BGE president and CEO Ken DeFontes Jr. said of BGE and emergency responders. "Baltimore Gas and Electric Company has a team of people ... who go out into the community, respond to public issues, whether it be a gas concern or carbon monoxide leak, or wire down, or storm, or road closure—anything at all that could cause our team to have to be out to restore power."
BGE provided $318,000 in grants to 40 emergency response agencies across central Maryland. (See the full list below.)
Like other responders, BGE needs high-tech equipment and well-trained personnel, and they often work with organizations during emergencies, such as storms, he said. On nights where the power goes out, BGE crews and firefighters often handle emergencies on the same front line.
That's why BGE is helping those groups, he said. "It's a re-engagement with the community," he said.
Some of the grants were used to purchase defibrillators, radio systems, thermal imager cameras, rescue tools and carbon monoxide detection equipment.
Anne Arundel County:
- American Logistics Aid Network -- Strengthening Maryland's emergency response network
- Arnold Volunteer Fire Department--Emergency Communications
- Civil Air Patrol--Search and rescue equipment and training
- Lake Shore Volunteer Fire Company-- Equipment and tools for new brush fire truck
- Odenton Volunteer Fire Company--emergency fire equipment
- Ready Chesapeake Inc.--Read Chesapeake Community Business Operations Center
- Woodland Beach Volunteer Fire Department -- First Aid, CPR and AED training program
- American Red Cross Central Maryland Chapter -- Response trailers
- Box 414 Association -- Replacement of aging infrastructure
- National Fallen Firefighters Foundation--Purchase of smoke alarms for use in Baltimore City
- Northwest Citizens Patrol Inc. -- Neighborhood watch radio upgrade
- Arbutus Volunteer Fire Department -- Thermal imaging camera
- Arcadia Volunteer Fire Company -- Jaws of life tools and cutters
- Box 234 Association -- purchase of rehabilitation vehicle
- Central Alarmers -- Purchase of rehabilitation vehicle
- Chestnut Ridge Volunteer Fire Company -- Enhanced toxic gas measurement tools.
- Friends to Police Exploring -- Training and procurement of equipment
- Hereford Volunteer Ambulance Association -- pulse oximeter
- Hereford Volunteer Fire Company -- Refurbishment of a brush fire truck
- Jobs Housing and Recovery Inc. -- Severe weather emergency fund
- Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company -- Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company Capital Campaign
- Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company -- Replacement of station alerting system
- Lutherville Volunteer Fire Company -- Enhanced Alerting System
- Maryland Line Volunteer Fire Company-- Automated external defibrillators (AED)
- North Point Edgemere Volunteer Fire Department -- Marine Fire Rescue Vessel
- Owings Mills Volunteer Fire Company -- large-diameter hose
- Rosedale Volunteer Fire Company-- Automatic Electronic Defibrillators (AED)
- White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company -- Meeting and exceeding the needs of the community through Improving service delivery
- Carroll County: Sykesville Freedom District Fire Department -- gas meter purchase program for emergency response and disaster preparedness
- Abingdon Fire Company--EMS turn out gear
- Harford County Sheriff's Foundation, Inc. --Fingerprint Initiative
- Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Foundation Inc. -- ANSI Class 2 coat replacement
- Lisbon Volunteer Fire Company -- Hydraulic extrication tools
- Burtonsville Volunteer Fire Department-- Volunteer firemen recruitment
Prince George's Ciounty:
- Kentland Volunteer Fire Department-- Gas detection equipment replacement program
- Laurel Volunteer Rescue Squad -- natural gas monitoring and detection equipment
- National Volunteer Fire Council Inc. -- partnership in preparedness
- St.Matthew's United Methodist Church -- Disaster response program and enhancement for on-site shelter
- Lutherville Volunteers Respond to Highway Truck Fire
- Lutherville Volunteers Respond to Garage Fire
- Lutherville Firefighters Rescue Trapped Driver
- UPDATED: Lutherville Man Burned in Generator Accident
- Lutherville Volunteers Rescue Driver Trapped in Car
- Lutherville Volunteers Rescue Pair Trapped After Accident
- Lutherville Volunteer Fire Company Responds to 80+ Hurricane Related Calls
- BGE: Restoring Power Not an Easy Job (VIDEO)