A Baltimore activist is planning a reenactment Wednesday of a political statement involving a toilet, on the two-year anniversary of the event that caused a bomb scare.
The announcement was made via a YouTube video uploaded by the user "occupythelaw."
Duane Davis was charged with planting a fake destructive device and making a false statement about a destructive device after he placed a toilet in front of the Old Courthouse, home to Baltimore County government, on Feb. 6, 2011. A Baltimore County jury acquitted Davis in September of that year.
Davis, a caterer, said Tuesday that his intention in 2011 was to protest alleged corruption in Gov. Martin O'Malley's administration. He claims that he had made political statements using toilets previously, but the Towson incident was the only one where he was accused of causing a bomb scare.
"The toilet represents how you treat people," he said. "It doesn't discriminate."
The creators of the YouTube video state that the reenactment, which is planned for noon outside Baltimore County Circuit Court, is meant to support artistic freedoms and access to the courts, and encourages interested parties to "bring your porcelain protest potty or be there in support."
"It's not a stunt, it's a statement," a voice on the video said.
Davis said he and his supporters plan to walk around the Circuit Court property, which he argued is "his legal right."
Ellen Kobler, a Baltimore County spokeswoman, said a permit is needed to hold a demonstration outside the court, and noted that Davis did not have one. Kobler did not say what consequences the protesters may face.
Baltimore County Police spokeswoman Cathleen Batton said the department is aware of the event and will exercise its standard response for protests. Batton said specifics will be determined as the event progresses.
Patch editor Tyler Waldman contributed to this report.